[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]In order to objectively look at the 2 most popular options available we are not going to put the products head to head but rather on a common parameters that we have chosen. Lets have a look between Magento Community Edition and Shopify – which one is the better shopping cart solution for Small and Medium Enterprises.
1. Magento Community Edition
Since the announcement Magento Go version from Magento stable we are going to look at Magento Community edition.
Magento Community Edition is open source software used to power your online store and can be downloaded for free. Developers can modify the core code and add features and functionality by installing extensions from the Magento Connect marketplace.
Businesses using Community Edition as their open source ecommerce solution to run their stores will want to have access to their own Magento experts, since Magento does not provide technical support for this software.
Magento Secure Payment Bridge assists merchants in meeting PCI compliance with this secure payment application. Implementing Payment Bridge with Magento Enterprise Edition saves online merchants money and time when it comes to complying with PCI requirements.
Website : http://www.magentocommerce.com/
- It’s free to download from the website.
- It is an open source Software, with extensive developer community which ensure a lot of people talking about the product and create new apps for it.
- It offer more features and greater control over the content.
- Magento offers a wide variety of marketing promotions features like polls, surveys, coupons, and built-in newsletters. Magento can be easily integrated with eBay.
- Magento integrates with several payment processors and offers one-page checkout, which is such an important feature for a ecommerce site.
- It requires a deeper technical knowledge to implement Magento for your store.
- Magento does not provide technical support for this software.
- It has too many features and that can be confusing to a small business owner.
- It is hard to install and maintain
Shopify is a fully customizable ecommerce solution, one can shape and form their chosen template to suit their business by adding logo, changing colours, selecting beautiful fonts and so much more!
With secure hosting and a streamlined backend admin area, the setup and operation of your ecommerce website is fast and easy. Plus you have full control over the appearance of your site, along with all HTML and CSS coding.
It’s quick and easy – choose a template, add your products, and begin accepting orders. You could make your first sale the same day you sign up. Shopify Reports help you spend less time crunching numbers and more time learning how to boost your sales. Shopify apps are a fast, easy way to add useful extra features to your website storefront.
Website : http://www.shopify.com
- Shopify does not break you budget with its costs and offer a 15 day trial for your store
- Shopify has 24/7 support to help you with any issues that may arise as you operate your business
- It’s a managed solution so you only have to worry about your store and sales.
- It has ready to use templates for your stores that are quick to customise and operate.
- Shopify was the first hosted ecommerce website solution to use a content delivery network to ensure your customers can load your website store quickly, no matter where they are.
- It’s not free.
- Shopify lacks the extensive marketing and promotional features like its other competitors.
- Need to route your customer’s credit cards through extra layers of security to process credit cards, this can cause slow response time
- You need to pay for add-ons that may also involve transactions fees.
Both solutions offer their unique advantages and disadvantages, so it finally boils down to individual choice. Magento is free to acquire but has a learning curve and with increased power of open source platform it puts the onus of maintaining security and resources to customer. Shopify release the store owners from the responsibility of resource management but its services are paid and the more features you add the price tag becomes larger.
PROS has over 75 years of combined experience in internet marketing, SEO, SEM and Magento ecommerce. We have launched many cutting edge projects in Magento ecommerce website design & development, LAMP (PHP), Microsoft .NET, Android & Apple iOS mobile apps. We have also launched a custom white label marketplace based on Magento that has features similar to Amazon, Ebay and Etsy.com.
So who do you think is the best solution in your opinion and why, write to us.[/vc_column_text][vc_empty_space][vc_widget_sidebar sidebar_id=”sidebar_3″][/vc_column][/vc_row]